Last week, I was in salad heaven. Greens, cherry tomatoes, and mini-cucumbers were in my fridge. All at once. Not only that, the avocados were ripe. Each morning, I sliced this miracle fruit to delight in pure green goodness. To top it all off, I had pickles. I think technically they're called cornichons, but please, the name doesn't matter. It was the sour crunch that turned the ordinary into extraordinary. Five days of bliss, thanks to the pickles.
In two decades of teaching, I've taken lunch routines too far. Over time, the wholesomeness of yogurt and granola deflated like a balloon after a birthday party. The vibrant dance of rice, beans, and salsa grew tired after a while.
The pickles are gone, and I see the sign. It's time to shift lunch gears again.
I thought I was the only one who brought the same thing everyday! Nice to know there is someone else who finds the ease in bringing the same thing.
ReplyDeleteYour headline included Pickles so I had to stop by. I say Pickles all the time with my class. We try to use pickles in every sentence with new vocabulary words. We make up stories about pickles and even found picture books about pickles. OK, it is not all the time / every day. We aren't crazy. It really is about having fun at school and laughing.
ReplyDeleteAlso, I can relate to your blog. I have brought the same thing for lunch every day for about 16 years. Turkey sandwich, apple, yogurt and water. Elementary teaching is hard and I have very little bathroom access. I can't have any surprises!
I get burnt out on the same lunches too. I just posted a slice a few days ago about how I throw random things in my lunchbox and eat based upon what I'm feeling would be appetizing at that moment. I do love pickles though!
ReplyDeleteI love pickles in salad! I can hook you up with some lacto-fermented root veggies... You know where to find me.
ReplyDeleteWhen I read your title I felt a little sense of panic. Pickles are versatile and essential. In no way is eating pickles every day an example of being in a lunch rut/routine. They are accent flavor enhancers. Who is ready for some pickle soup?
ReplyDeleteI love cornichons, but never think of them for lunch...you are changing my thoughts on lunch...I feel I have a lot to ponder now. But, luckily I can ponder lunch fare with your brilliant descriptive detail in mind.
ReplyDeleteYour post with all its vivid sensory detail is making me crave cornichons. I am a creature of routine, but every so often it is nice to change it up.
ReplyDelete