Wednesday, March 20, 2013

X is for Xerox

I never knew my score on the test I took in middle school for gifted thinkers--that test with logic puzzles and brain benders--but based on the absence of praise or feedback afterward, the silence spoke for itself. There, I said it. Or was I meant to carry that shame with me until adulthood?

Today at the copy machine, it took me a little while to configure a nine-page document onto 11x17 fold-over sheets of paper. Okay, I'll be honest, it took me a long while. I gave myself wait time. Wait time that would have made a class of 25 feel very uncomfortable, but fortunately I was alone. I made a proof and promptly lost track of the order. I forced myself to make a checklist of pages. Then I decided to make the tenth page. In the end, I was proud of my results, but not as proud of my process.

Life lesson: Why reserve accommodations for others; remember your own needs as well.

1 comment:

  1. I'm laughing out loud! I have been there - doing the same thing - and god forbid anyone asks you a question during the thinking process! Congratulations - and I agree - remember your own needs.

    ReplyDelete