Saturday, March 9, 2013

E is for Extinguisher

If each activity--school, work, or extra-curricular--were a piece of kindling, our family fireplace would be blazing a mile high. This month alone has been complete with  meetings, trips, appointments, lessons, and practices that have filled days and evenings. What was once a warm glow of a busy family has now grown too hot for my taste. We're starting to shed layers and open windows for relief from the heat. At the end of this week, despite feeling pretty worn out, we managed to fit in a hearty post-sleepover breakfast, a hockey game, boot camp, crew practice, a couple errands, and two lunches out for three boys at a time (not all our own), all before 1 pm. I'm surprised that the doorknob of our front door wasn't hot to the touch by the time we arrived home.

As I headed upstairs with my youngest for his regular nap, I spotted my oldest sleeping soundly already on the couch. Next, I found my middle son snuggled into his own bed under the covers, his book still open beside him. How could I resist the same temptation after I put the little one down in his crib? While my husband kept just  a low fire burning with soft tapping on his keyboard, the rest of us enjoyed a quiet mid-day slumber.

Life lesson: When in danger, stop, drop, and rest.

1 comment:

  1. Leah - this is fabulous. The fire metaphor works brilliantly, and your lesson is perfect! I especially like the line about the doorknob not being to hot to touch! Nothing better than a nap on a warm Saturday afternoon.

    ReplyDelete