The air that greeted me when I stepped out for work this morning was welcoming and refreshing. I know I'm not the only one who feels a sense of relief that spring is indeed arriving. The snow was just a temporary guest. One who came in full of romance and possibility for winter nesting and one that left with a "Good riddance." and an exasperated slam of the door. Walking across the field again, with not even a slushy puddle to avoid, my cheerful steps were light and unencumbered by my heavy winter coat.
Sadly, it appears that even when crocuses pop and birds sing their optimistic songs, the wintry sludge of Mondays still threatens to pull us down. I peeled off the fresh, green layers of my day to find my student-teacher coming off one hellish weekend and needed some major help before her supervisor arrived. During first mod, I acted as a mediator between two bickering table-mates who couldn't stand the sight of each other. Not long after, I was addressing the impulsive outbursts of one very angry girl. Forgotten supplies, confusion at simple directions, and "This is torture." filled in the cracks after lunch. The rhythm of the day just never picked up, and by the time I was packing my bag to go, my head pounded. Too bad Mondays don't leave with the snow.
I received a warmer greeting when I opened the back door of the school to head home. A cluster of kids lounged on the green, laughing and carefree. I felt better already.
Even our kids feel the weight of a Monday... Well done. You managed to keep your spirit despite the pulling forces.
ReplyDeleteSome days... fortunately, they don't repeat themselves often. I hope tomorrow is better! :)
ReplyDeleteYour word choice throughout made me feel the pull and weight of today. I especially liked your line: "Too bad Mondays don't leave with the snow."
ReplyDeleteBTW -- I love your yellow blog. ;)
Happy writing,
Ruth
It's amazing how we are impacted by weather,especially on a Monday.
ReplyDeleteBonnie