My kiddos have taken to the ice--we're on day two of a three-day clinic at our local iceplex. With four and a half years between them, there aren't many opportunities for me to sign them up for the same activity, but their common hockey obsession made skating lessons an easy pick for our stay-at-home vacation. My only concern was the growing sibling rivalry I've seen over the last few months. I braced myself for possible tension.
At the start of their class, they thought they'd be together. When I signed them up, they automatically placed them in the same level because neither of them had any formal training, and although he'd be careful not to show it, this was obviously a comfort for Will as he followed his big brother onto the rink. But Tuck stood a good two heads above the tallest kids in the class and his footing was sure once he stepped onto the ice. It didn't take thirty seconds before the instructor led him to the far end of the rink for a more appropriate level. Will looked on as his brother skated away. All I could do was choose a seat on the observatory level where I could watch both levels from above.
Once Will got over that initial feelings of abandonment, they've both made a lot of progress. We've hung around after the lessons for open skate where they practice news skills and pick up some speed with free access to the whole rink. That's when the metaphor for their relationship becomes clear: The more they skate on their own, the more confidence they each gain. Finally, that's when I see them meet up on the rink to glide side by side for a while and then chase one another with rosy cheeked smiles.
No comments:
Post a Comment