On our way out for a wet walk to the library with my two boys, my hands full with a book bag, purse, cell phone and umbrella as I yanked the door closed, I suddenly realized, "Oh no, the door is locked! What about the back?"
Eight-year old Will readily came to the rescue. "I'll go check!" Tuck and I crossed our fingers with various images of messy maneuvering to get back into our dry house that might involve climbing a tree, shoving a screen in and no guarantee of finding an unlocked window at the end of winter.
As we rounded the corner toward the porch, we met him running back to us with an air of accomplishment. "Don't worry," he said proudly, "I locked it." With gasps and dropped jaws, but in our Saturday state of mind, there was no need to fret. Tuck and I couldn't help but laugh out loud at the misunderstanding. Poor Will didn't find it quite as funny when he realized what had happened, and I felt bad for once again failing to consider my reaction. (Sometimes my sensitive sons mistake my joyous laughter for mocking--something I have to work on.)
Phew! After digging around the cavernous pit of my bag I found a spare key, so we continued on our errand doing our best to assure the injured little brother that this mishap only added more fun to this weekend afternoon.
Just think what the police would have thought if they saw you breaking into your own house ... that's what always goes through my mind.
ReplyDeleteKevin
"...the cavernous pit of my bag..."
ReplyDeleteA fantastic way to describe that thing we all call "our purse."
SAS
I absolutely loved this slice of life. I even read it out loud to my mom, dad, and husband. I am going to forward the link to my sister as well because I know she would love the part about how your son's interpret your laughter and needing to work on that.
ReplyDeleteThat is so funny! I have two boys as well, and I definitely understand having to explain my reactions. This Slice of Life that you guys are doing is so great because these are the little moments that you may forget even though they seem like they'll stick forever right now.
ReplyDelete