Times have changed--no more paddles or noses in the corner--but teachers are still human, and we still have the power to ruin a child's day. About two hundred papers are stacked on my kitchen table this weekend, essays that students have written, one analytical and the other personal, and it's my aim to assign a grade to each one. I have been noting successes and difficulties in the kindest way possible, but as we all know, it's tough to be on the receiving end of judgment.
There was an English teacher at my high school--the legend was that the first essay grade you got for the year would be the same grade you would get until June. Two students allegedly proved the theory by trading names on their papers. I shared this anecdote with one of my classes last week, and I was encouraged to hear a couple of students say, "No way does that happen anymore." These were the days before rubrics, I pointed out, and instead of a detailed explanation of strengths and weaknesses, we just got a big red letter on the corner of the page. Today I call myself "coach" to my students, guiding them to better writing. Do they see it that way? Does my pretty purple pen and occasional smiley face make the news any easier to take?
I love sitting down to conference with kids, but I know it makes some of them nervous & anxious. Some of them might just prefer a big red letter. I think those are the ones I really need to connect with more.
ReplyDelete200 papers!
ReplyDeleteLeah - aren't English teachers lucky though? We can learn so much from our students' essays and personal narratives. That's one of the things I miss. Enjoy - good weekend for it, if the weather holds true.
ReplyDeleteI can't imagine 200 papers sitting on my table waiting to be read and scored. If only writing about them could make a dent in grading them! :)
ReplyDeleteJust the fact that you think about it is important. My papers used to look like a battlefield and that was just my Mom. Thank goodness I'm a better writer now! You need a lot of coffee!!!
ReplyDeleteSarah
SOLC