Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Misery loves company

I have a good friend who expresses extreme displeasure, hatred really, toward day light saving time every year. It's not that I haven't agreed with her, but this particular event never caused me to use foul language. When I read her blog post today, I examined the evidence and realized that she has been right all along.

Exhibit 1: The most perfect batch of homemade granola bars I was baking on Sunday? Burned.

Exhibit 2: Even though I am consuming water, supplementing with electrolytes, and eating a careful balance of greens (yes, kale) and whole grains (charred granola bars, grrrr), I've been daydreaming about naps for days. 

Exhibit 3: I read "happiness" instead of "misery" aloud to my students, entered an entire class of grades in the wrong column, and required an embarrassing number of attempts to calibrate my interactive white board today. The most troubling aspect of this last item is that I enjoyed the challenge (thank god I was alone).

There's plenty of proof--I'm practically daffy as a result of the time change. In an attempt to sooth the pain, I dumped that blackened batch in the waste basket today. I kept a careful watch on the clock, and I took it out at just the right moment to preserve the golden hue that honey-soaked nuts and coconut deserve. DST does suck, but I'm glad to wait it out with my chewy granola bars and a newly calibrated screen.

At one point, it looked like my friend had let this year's shift come and go without much noise. Now I thank her for shedding light on one hell of a week...and it's only Tuesday. 

1 comment: