Speaking of majestic domestics, I'm in the midst of an important transformation.
Then: After a tough day at work, I lounged on the couch reading cooking magazines with a glass of wine (brought to me) and a piece of toast with cheese or olive oil and salt, or some sample of dinner in progress (also brought to me) while my husband did the cooking and bringing.
Now: Instead of sitting on my butt, I'm wrapping my own hands around the gastronomic world and taking pride in providing delicious food for my family.
My epicurean spouse has become increasingly busy with work, and seeing as I'm currently unemployed, it makes sense for me to get the grub on the table. Plus, caring for a baby makes putting my feet up with a glass of wine kind of impractical and a bit inappropriate. Thankfully, the babe's a sweet and content young thing, and as long as he can see and hear me, we make a pretty good team in the kitchen.
To be honest, I've been interested in shifting roles for some time. While my "then" scenario may sound lovely, that life of leisure wasn't always marshmallow creamy, especially if you're a prickly pear like myself. There were some definite disadvantages that I feel warrant some explanation, and some excellent reasons for why I enjoy this side of the table so very much. But since today's culinary escapades took a lot out of me, from the batch of muffins this morning (yogurt, cranberry, oats) to the double recipe of butternut squash and leek soup (fresh thyme, grated Gruyere, bacon crumbles) for dinner, I simply can't unpack it all tonight. Stay tuned for more to follow.
No comments:
Post a Comment