"How am I going to get enough caffeine with students in the room?"
She's not the only one with concerns about wearing a mask all day. Some complain of the elastic around the ears. Others report that it can hard to breathe. It can get hot. Hearing one another can be a challenge.
O'Malley insists, "I don't care about any of that. I've been drinking at least three cups of coffee each morning of every teaching day since March 16, 2020. I begin the warm-up, take a sip, coach students through a mini-lesson, take a sip, form breakout groups, take a sip. I'm pretty sure sipping that much during class will no longer be appropriate."
The middle school day starts early, making this is a valid problem for other teachers as well. Doctors advise tapering caffeine intake in preparation for the transition, but for many, this advice comes too late. To avoid withdrawal symptoms, O'Malley is working on taking large gulps so that she may consume the proper amount between classes instead. She recommends removing the lid and holding the cup at a 50 degree angle while counting, one Mississippi, two Mississippi.
"It might require some weekend training, but it will be worth it."
I got a cup that keeps my coffee hot for an unreasonably amount of time. It has helped in that regard, but intake speed is not where I'd like it to be at all. Hear's to hoping the business of having kids front and center takes your mind off the exhaustion kids front and center tend to create!
ReplyDeleteOr Ms. O'Malley might switch to iced coffee-- the straw is easier to manage.
ReplyDeleteThis piece is cleverly crafted and full of charm and chuckle. You had me at "She recommends removing the lid and holding the cup at a 50 degree angle while counting, one Mississippi, two Mississippi." Please update readers on the best practices regarding coffee intake and restroom breaks. Inquiring minds want to know.
ReplyDeleteI'm with Ms. Chiu - let us know how it goes!
ReplyDeleteI've been concerned about the drop in my caffeine intake as well. Throw in the loss of one hour this weekend and you've got the makings of monster teacher.
ReplyDelete