Monday, March 8, 2021

Writers keep writing

It's happening! Writers all over Teacher Town have been tap, tap, tapping on their keyboards since March 1, and their posts are providing glimpses into bright, shiny worlds that had grown dull after 11 months in semi-quarantine. Studies in sweet potatoes, walks around Washington, and perfectly made beds are some of the rays of light that have shined on the community over the last couple of days.

"My kitchen table has been my universe for the last year," says one writer. "Reading these slices by writers near and far makes me feel like I've been somewhere." 

In both poetry and prose, slices of life are a daily meditation: shades of apple green, shiny sneakers, snowy owls, old habits/new truths, multi-tasking prowess, mountain adventures, quaran-tacos, and Pteranodons. They are all a reminder of the many eyes around Teacher Town that are opened wide.

Breaking news: The kids are in on it, too. Just a simple invitation went out, and the posts are piling up. "We're nearing 100, and it's only March 8!" one their top posters exclaimed. They're celebrating Women's Day, sharing embarrassing stories, describing sounds of the night, and more. We reached the recently named Youth Poet Laureate of Teacher Town, and she recalled, "I started writing slices of life in middle school, and I never stopped."

It's the gift that keeps on giving. Write here, write now.

7 comments:

  1. This #SOL21 community is definitely the gift that keeps on giving! I love how you captured snippets of people's blogs and creatively weaved them into your news bulletin. This line was my favorite, "My kitchen table has been my universe for the last year," says one writer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so excited the students in Teacher Town are drafting their way through the month. The town's lead writing teacher ignited a passion for creative expression years ago, and now look at all of those slicers and dicers crafting a collective masterpiece.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can feel your energy in this slice -- it's so true that this community of writers makes us each feel like we are going somewhere with every slice we read! Thanks for that perspective!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds like it's a great day in Teacher Town! I too am enjoying reading my students' slices. They have a lot to say and I'm interested!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Right there, right now! Let’s go Teacher Town!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like your style here. Clever! Congrats on the kids - 100 posts. WOW

    ReplyDelete
  7. This slice perfectly captures the awesome slice of life writing community.

    ReplyDelete