Thursday, March 12, 2020

Waiting.

These days, our phones announce the arrival of information with a "Ping!" whether or not we obsessively refresh our screen. News is happening out there, there is no doubt. Numbers climb and leaders convene. For hours in a row, my phone buzzed with notifications from universities, stadiums, amusement parks, and camps. Any news from school? Not much.

Yet a Virginia state of emergency plus a warning that "This situation is changing by the minute..." leaves one wondering what's happening out of earshot when hours have passed since an update. And in those hours, I do "normal." I enter grades, walk the dog, take my youngest to Taekwondo, and empty the dishwasher. But the lines are growing longer at the grocery store and the anti-bacterial wipes are still out of stock. I resist the temptation to check my phone. 

6 comments:

  1. It's all so surreal, isn't it? I feel like we are all walking around thinking this all isn't really happening....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Doing “normal” with all those pings is getting increasingly more difficult. I hope they call it before my slice is due tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And all the rumors! I heard that they told WL teachers to clean out their fridges today. We've been living with low-level anxiety for some time now, and it's kind of taking a toll.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's hard not to be anxious when the news and rumors are swirling about. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's how we feel in West Virginia. Well at least in my county. The counties north of us are all on a 2 hour delay with staff coming in at regular time to prep packet. My county? Silence. It's a little unnerving and I tried my hardest to continue about my day doing our "normal" routine. Fortunately my kids really helped me stay on the ball and we had a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Afternoon announcements: see you in the morning, ready to learn. 5:00 news... all schools in the county closed tomorrow- April 5.

    ReplyDelete