No problem. I dug into the archives, set up a fresh calendar, built a Google Classroom, and emailed a couple of announcements. "Spread the word!" I called out to English teachers--or those who had a minute to check email before classes started on the first of March. By 8:15 AM, a few kids had already signed up. Before I finished the introduction to my first class, one of my kids had posted subversively from inside his desk.
"I really want that slice of pie," he said in reference to the reward I'll bake for top slicers.
"What are you doing on your iPad while I'm talking, young man?" I wish I had asked assertively. "Writing, you say? Okay, good." Ignore me all you want, children. Just keep writing.
As for the success of my experiment, there's no telling what will happen. A school-wide writing challenge? Will enough students write? Will too many? Can I maintain a community that is both creative and civil? For middle schoolers?! Two more days of February would not have been nearly enough to calm my uncertainty. Nevertheless, we have 31 days of March. Let's see how it goes.
I think it's going to be great! Can't wait to hear how it all turns out!
ReplyDeleteCongratulations!! And best wishes on your school wide story challenge. It amazes me that you can spread the word with such ease in the electronic classrooms. I plan to keep up with you and your school challenge. Keep us posted!
ReplyDeleteWow! School-wide writing challenge! Very impressive. And on a side note, there are never enough days!
ReplyDeleteYour enthusiasm for writing is infectious. What could be better than a wide open invitation to join the party? So lucky to be part of your community.
ReplyDelete"Ignore me all you want, children. Just keep writing." Awesome! ;)
ReplyDeleteYour call for slicers has been heard! It is writing for a real life purpose that spurs us to get over our fears of rejection/technology/judgment/name-your-kryptonite and get onto the business of living life, one slice at a time. Thank you!!
ReplyDelete