Wednesday, March 21, 2018

Savor the Snow

When servings of grocery store sheet cake get passed around, I might drum up the willpower to say, "No thanks." My sweet tooth knows that another treat won't be far behind, so it can wait. Today's snow day was no grocery store sheet cake.

When the cake has triple layers, fruit and custard, and the frosting is buttercream, I say, "Yes, please." When snow falls on the second day of spring, and I'm certain it won't again until next winter, I add, "Thank you kindly." This sweet day included waking up without an alarm. We went sledding and made snow angels. Our dog tumbled with a friend. I lay for a long, long stretch on the couch to chat with my boys and sink into my book. I was beaten soundly in a game of Monopoly. My laptop slept on the table all the while.

Our winter wonderland is already melting, the roads are cleared, and it's back to normal for a couple more days before break. I hungrily asked for seconds, but that delectable cake was devoured by all, and the dishes have already been put away. I'm so glad I enjoyed every single bite.

3 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, no one can do an extended metaphor like you! I loved every little bite of this slice!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved reading this and living vicariously through your snow day. Glad you enjoyed your sweet day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a perfect day! Your comparison to a fabulous dessert is spot-on.

    ReplyDelete