Wednesday, March 14, 2018

Lead the Way

Anyone who doubted the agency of middle school students needed to witness today's 17-minute walkout at 10 AM.

Without one adult at the helm, hundreds of students funneled through crowded halls and out on to our sports field to form a large circle, a perfectly round circle of at least six kids deep. In the center, a group of student leaders raised their fists and led a chant, "What do we want? Gun control! When do we want it? Now!"

With just their joint gesture, they invoked a moment of silence. Everyone fell to their knees in unison. Not long after, one gifted orator took the megaphone and with barely a glance at her index cards, she called out our government for not doing their part to end gun violence. Teachers stood on the bleachers to get a better view. We chose to walk out because we, too, believe in the cause. But these were their seventeen minutes, and they owned every second.

All of this is to say, I wish they didn't have to.


5 comments:

  1. I echo... wish they didn’t have to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is power in raised voices. History is made of moments like this. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Incredible inspiration all over today. Glad to hear it went well for you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely. Thanks for sharing this slice today. Mine is very similar, and I appreciate knowing someone knows and can resonate with these feelings tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish they didn't have to but I'm sure DAMN glad they did!! They will lead and I will follow! Thank you for posting this slice. I wish I could copy and paste your reflection into our next team leader notes.

    ReplyDelete