Wednesday, March 30, 2016

You Can Take It With You

In an exercise that asks students to imagine themselves in Anne Frank's shoes today, I asked them to make a packing list if they learned they would go have to go into hiding. This question, in contrast to the dark facts of the Holocaust that we discussed yesterday, brought a lightness and sense of relief to the group. No, I can't imagine myself or anyone I know enduring the immense suffering that occurred, but yes, I can identify which of my material belongings would bring me comfort in a time of trouble.

I loved hearing the range of ideas that ranged from entertainment to sentimental tokens, plus some attempt at self-defense and industry. I listened to their lists and offered comparative notes about Anne's choices. Many wanted to bring their pets. Anne's parents refused her cat, causing in some initial sting when Peter walked in with his own. Cell phones are too traceable by the government, not unlike the risk Anne's roommate, Mr. Pfeffer, took when writing to his beloved fiancé waiting for him outside the Annex. My heart was warmed to hear of kids who would bring as many books and writing paper as they could fit in their bags. Musical instruments, programming materials, but also mementos and photos to rind them of their lives left behind. Beef jerky, oddly enough, was on at least two lists, and chocolate, perhaps for its healing properties after contact with dementors, or whatever soul-sucking force they might encounter.

Fortunately, my students will live lives of freedom, free to enter and exit their own homes as they please. These survival bags will never be packed, thank god. Still, their imaginations reveal what they value. I wonder how these lists may change by the time we finish this profound unit. In a way, I hope they don't.

1 comment:

  1. This is powerful, Leah, and poignant. What a profound way to have students consider the situation.

    ReplyDelete