Saturday, March 31, 2012

Collaboration Is the Key

Newspaper projects were due on this last day before Spring Break, so instead of playing games or watching a movie, as they were in other parts of the building, my kids were formatting their handwritten articles onto large pieces of construction paper. They passed glue sticks, gave suggestions, redirected each other when someone was distracted; it was the sort of focused and collaborative work that I wish would happen every day. Each individual was responsible for five contributions, including fact-based reporting, opinion pieces, and "extra features" like horoscopes, comic strips, or classifieds. Most students had their contributions, either large or small in scale. They encouraged those who were short some pieces. They found clever ways to fill white-space, one that incorporated glitter, and another showed a poll they took minutes before when they visited each table. "Do you like cupcakes or pie?" Every group finished a newspaper, save a couple who have minor pieces to glue in to designated spots when we return. Some are expansive, multi-page publications, and some are displayed on two sides of a poster, but every student played an active role.

We have about 12 weeks left of our school year, and I'm flexible about what and how I will teach my students as we wrap up our time together. I want them to continue writing, of course, and I have a novel unit planned, but whatever and however I teach them, I want them to be as engaged as they were creating their newspapers this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment