"Consider carpooling," they recommended based on the massive number of participants they expected. Plus, there was sure to be some bonkers Super Tuesday traffic, this being the reason behind the last-minute cancellation of school.
I hitched a ride from my husband, and while I enjoyed a rare morning chat on this weekday commute, the vacancies in the parking lot suggested attendance was light. Walking into the auditorium, I was struck by the thin crowd, especially in the front rows. In fact, the nearest exit seemed to have a magnetic pull based on how many chose to sit in the back. Maybe they all had the primary on their minds.
Later, I walked over to my polling place. Despite my concerns of a line in the late afternoon, the gym was nearly empty. Without a voter in front or behind, I could have set up a campfire and roasted a few marshmallows before feeding my ballot into the machine.
Where were the droves that required training? What about the urgency of this election? Fill those parking lots, people. It's time to line up. And good news: the PD sessions are over, but the polls don't close until 7 o'clock. Anyone need a ride?
Should be some interesting results tonight. I like the call to action within this post!
ReplyDeleteI'm with you - line up and fill those parking lots! It's time to speak up and speak out at the ballot box.
ReplyDeleteI dropped my ballot off this morning. I was early so there weren't many people there. Hoping that more will show up later!
ReplyDeleteThe news is reporting record turn out at the polls; who can say about the PD? I wish you had roasted marshmallows there!
ReplyDeleteVisions of roasted marshmallows at the polls and at PD make for a super Tuesday. Love how you blended, analyzed, and evaluated both experiences with brevity and lingering questions.
ReplyDeleteThe title nails it! I'm sad to hear of the unexpected turn out at the PD. You captured/created this tension around turn out so well.
ReplyDelete