The wind is picking up speed and the sky warns of rain that is surely on the way. I rush my dog, Allie, out the door for a quick walk, but her nose suggests an alternative agenda. With even the slightest dampness in the air, she is transported to a state of euphoria. She pauses to inhale life's sweetness in the crevices in the stone wall. The crease between the lawn and the concrete. A napkin by the gutter. A plod of grass in the road.
As we start and stop, start and stop, the distance she creates is like that of a mother and her teenage daughter: “Don’t even try to read my mind.” Or in this case, “Just let me smell my own life!” I can only follow protectively and wonder, Whatever happened to my little girl?
A gust nearly blows my jacket off and down comes a spray of raindrops at last. I breathe in scents of earthy grass, blooming crocuses, and buds on the trees. A trash can on the curb. Chinese takeout on the next block.
Exhilarated, we break into a jog. Together again.
You are much more patient with Allie than I am with Lucy! I love the concrete examples of "life's sweetness"!
ReplyDelete"Just let me spell my own life!"- Love it!
ReplyDeleteI love how you took this small moment of walking your dog and made it come to life with all the vivid descriptions of the moment. The next time I walk my dog, Carson, I'm going to take it all in.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful way to explode a moment. Using the teenage daughter analogy was a great way to bring in the reader. Awesome!
ReplyDeleteGreat details here! It reminds me of a book written by a woman who took walks in the same block or two in NY with different "people" to see it through their eyes. Some of the "people" included her toddler, her dog, a psychologist, a geologist, etc. I actually haven't read it, but bought it for my daughter when she moved to the city. Now you've reminded me why I wanted to read it. I'm off to reserve it from the library.
ReplyDeleteI love the juxtaposition of the examples where your dog is sniffing (a stone wall, a napkin for example). Your friendship with your dog is beautifully related. Congrats!
ReplyDeleteWe don't often speak of our pets as having their own goals and personalities. Wonderful job writing her world.
ReplyDeleteThis is beautiful! I love thinking and wondering about what goes on in my dog's head. Your analogy to a teenage daughter is great!
ReplyDeleteThis made me LOL- "“Don’t even try to read my mind.” Or in this case, “Just let me smell my own life!” I can only follow protectively and wonder, Whatever happened to my little girl?" Awesome slice!
ReplyDelete