Tuesday, March 10, 2020

Name That Tune

"What song is this?" asked my son from the backseat of the car. We were on our way home from Taekwondo.

He wasn't singing, mind you. He was snapping his tongue on the roof of his mouth, 100% percussion and 0% melody. I listened closely to the beat so that I could make my best guess. 

"I can tell it's a song I know, but I'm not sure...What do you call that sound you're making?" 

"It's sort of a click. Or a cluck," he said and started up again and I joined in for a few bars of his syncopated rhythm.

Cluck, cluck, Cluck, cluck...cluck, cluck, cluck. 
Cluck, cluck, cluck. 
Cluck, cluck, cluck. 

Cluck, cluck, Cluck, cluck...cluck, cluck, cluck. 
Cluck, cluck, cluck, cluck, cluck, cluck.

"Well, do you know it?"

I clucked a line back to him, thinking that might help. Not Jingle Bells. Not Hot Cross Buns. No luck. At a red light, I turned to see his face, midsong in the glow of the early evening, an unconventional serenade that allowed time to stand still just for the moment. 

The song, of course, was "Mary Had a Little Lamb."

4 comments:

  1. I can totally cluck along with this post! All percussion and no melody is a great line.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this story! And your descriptions were perfect.... would you believe that I named the tune from the way that you wrote the rhythm of the clucks? :-) ~JudyK

    ReplyDelete
  3. An unconventional serenade... love that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was clucking along with this post, too! My son’s like, “What song is that?” Thanks for sharing this happy post.

    ReplyDelete