- Anybody reading anything great?
- On a scale of 1-10, how stressed are you about the geo test?
- Let's clear off desks except for-
- Will and Bill, not a good time to wrestle.
- Here's what we're going to do today...
Their faces are still fresh, crystal-clear in my mind. We were in the groove, making progress, we had already gotten to know each other, and we knew where we were going. I wrote them notes about their reading today. I'll write more notes tomorrow. There's plenty to do on the online agenda, more than enough to fill the time. But as the weeks and months go by, it's their faces I want to remember.
Kooky idea: Why not do a virtual class picture. It can be everyone coming as they are — in jammies or however they like to dress for remote schooling — and smiling for a pic. You can compile it and share it so that they have something to remember this wild time by. Just a thought...
ReplyDeleteOur governor pushed the back-to-school date out by another week (from 3/30 to 4/6). I highly doubt the kids in our state are going back this year. I just cannot image that it’ll be safe for them to go back in just two weeks.
Fun tip, thanks! I think we'll all be redefining what it means to teach face-to-face over the next few months. Stay well!
DeleteWow! Oregon is out until April 28th. We are officially on Spring Break this week. haha. We should hear about online learning expectations for our time away, but I suspect we might be out for the rest of the school year, too.
ReplyDeleteCrazy times!
Indeed!
DeleteDefinitely what Stacy said and then also, some zoom chats, morning meetings with some serious community building: wear your funniest shirt, share what you are eating for breakfast, what's the funniest thing you did yesterday? et
ReplyDeleteAbsolutely! We are going to be working outside (a.k.a. inside) the box on this challenge. Thanks for the words of encouragement.
DeleteLeah, I love the part of your piece where you let the reader hear your remarks at the beginning of class. It made me happy and took me back to those start of classtime moments. Plus as an 8th grade teacher, it must feel crazier. Those kids are heading to HS. I did do a training this morning to have a conference using Canvas and I may do that with my students. But it's not quite the same. However, I guess nothing is really the same. On a different topic, I'm going to host a virtual Slicing party on March 31st. I hope yu can join in. It will help us see if it works. Even though I'd much rather have you over for an Orange Pary. Hang in there. This news today is lots to process.
ReplyDeleteOh good! Thanks, Sally!
Delete"...it's their faces I want to remember." Powerful - and so true. This poignant post reflects so much of the sadness that we have been feeling. Thanks.
ReplyDeleteI still go into Synergy to look at their sweet smiles. I love the list of ways to start class, especially “Will and Bill, not a good time to wrestle.” Hang in there and let your mind and body have time to process.
ReplyDelete