Wednesday, March 18, 2020

A Birthday Tradition

My memory is fuzzy, but I think the first time I poured pancake batter onto a hot griddle in the shape of my firstborn's age, it was a number one or a number two. It was a simple way to begin a happy birthday with sweet returns. Children love pancakes. And I grew to appreciate a tradition that didn't send me to the store in a panic for expensive ingredients. Milk, eggs, flour, and butter. Very doable, every time.

Now I have three sons, and I haven't skipped a birthday yet. I like to think of each one of their this-is-my-day smiles before they gobbled numbers along with a buttery stack. Considering they're twenty-two, eighteen, and nine--throw in a couple decades of flapjacks for their dad--and I've become a real pro. 

Today is my birthday, but I did not stand at the stove. First thing, my youngest took the lead with a spatula in hand. He measured, mixed, and painted the pan with a lovely four and a six. Golden brown and delicious. It was a perfect start to the day.

6 comments:

  1. This will be a treasured family memory for a very long time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great tradition! Now I'm hungry for pancakes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a great tradition that I'm sure will be passed on for many generations!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How thoughtful of him! Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the flip in your story from you doing for them to them returning the treat. I especially enjoyed the hyphenated run and imagine your smile was what they were seeking, too. Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this tradition and how it is carried on by your youngest. That's the sweetest slice I've read today. Happy Birthday!!

    ReplyDelete