For about eight years, we enjoyed this ritual. Four years in high school and four in college. For the past two, he passed his oars down and stepped up as coach. Today, my youngest and I met him out on the river again. Races had just been called off due to wind, and the park was clearing out as I parked. We picked a quiet spot to eat our picnic lunch--my son, his girlfriend, and a friend. All three of them could recount their first time carrying their boat in and out of this very river. Afterward, they piled into the university truck, and my son drove those sixty-foot boats right out of the empty lot toward school.
The place was empty, and for old time's sake, we disappeared into the forest for a while. Up and down hills, out and around the bend. Not a single creature interrupted us. Heading toward the water's edge, we caught the sun sparkling on the surface of the boatless river. The only sound to be heard was the wind. Hush, it whispered, just remember this moment.
I will, I promised.
First, congrats on 31 days! Yea!! Your last line, to me, was beautiful...and although it summed up your lovely slice perfectly, I think it also sums up March and the SOL challenge so well, too!
ReplyDeleteRecording our lives is like your line: "Hush, it whispered, just remember this moment. I will, I promised."
By putting our thoughts and lives out into the SOL community, perhaps we are promising, in a small way, to remember our moments....
Beautiful slice! See you next year!
Thank you, Katy, your comment captures my intentions. Let us all remember the power of this month’s writing challenge!
DeleteWhat a great way to spend your Sunday, and perfect way to end your slice. Remembering these wonderful times with family has been so much a part of this adventure.
ReplyDeleteThanks, Kathryn! I love the way this challenge allows us to archive memories over time.
DeleteWhat a moving piece, chock full of your beautifully crafted language. I especially love the title and how you began and ended with the hike. The journey ends while another begins. Hush and remember. This challenge has certainly made me more present and in the moment. Congrats and thank you!
ReplyDelete