Thursday, March 15, 2018

The Neighborhood Run

Running is a good way to fight off the chill of cool March afternoons. I love having the excuse to jump out of my workin' boots and tie up my runnin' shoes. It's track season, and I play a minor role as "half time, assistant coach", and that's just enough for me. Both days this week, we hit the trail. I ran up front on Day 1 remembered that there are kids on the team who don't warm up--they're always going to sprint at red-hot speed. Today, I took to the middle, and then hung back to find the walkers, some who were doubting their decision to join a team that requires "so much running". Because, who knew, right?

One of those walkers might be surprised, but he's not giving up. He seemed depleted; it's his first year on the team. Turns out, he heard that this first week was grueling, but he was going to keep on'. "Next week will be better." Since it was just him, we jogged together and I made conversation to distract him from the slog. I told him how I started running--from scratch and now I never want to give it up. Some of my best long distances have been with a friend, and we've covered a LOT of territory, not just in mileage but in words. 

Before long, the course was complete, and it didn't take anyone down, although the wind threatened to at times. No coats necessary, though, at track practice.

2 comments:

  1. I love the image of teacher and reluctant runner.

    This is going to be my workout matra next week: "I love having the excuse to jump out of my workin' boots and tie up my runnin' shoes."

    Your slice reminds me I need to write a running piece.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Am laughing out loud. So much running: who knew?

    ReplyDelete