A little background: I was a pretty grumpy eighth grader, and since I can relate to those kids who look at me skeptically when I smile, it's one my aims to remain light-hearted. And I'll fake it 'till I make it on the days that I'm not feeling the love--because yes, there are plenty of those days too. That's part of my unofficial job description, right? Introducing the steps and timeline for this endeavor, I've invoked blue skies and rainbows. I even played Bobby McFerrin's "Don't Worry, Be Happy" and Pharrell Williams' joyous tune when angst-ridden questions threatened our mood. One resorts to these things when up against some pretty grumpy eighth graders.
But jeepers, is it me or does this creed have some lofty goals?
Promise Yourself -
• To talk health, happiness, and prosperity to every person you meet.
• To make all your friends feel that there is something in them.
• To look at the sunny side of everything and make your optimism come true.
• To think only of the best, to work only for the best, and to expect on the best.
• To be just as enthusiastic about the success of others as you are about your own.
• To forget the mistakes of the past and press on to the greater achievements of the future.
• To wear a cheerful countenance at all times and give every living creature you meet a smile.
• To give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have not time to criticize others.
• To be too large for worry, too noble for anger, too strong for fear, and too happy to permit the presence of trouble.
• To be so strong that nothing can disturb your peace of mind.
No problem if it does. Listen to this song and you just might believe every word.
Love this. My credo is not so dynamic or positive. It's closer to the Hippocratic oath I guess. Do no harm. Or leave no trace if you end up doing harm...but I love love those happy songs!
ReplyDeletePshew! They don't call them optimists for nuthin!
ReplyDeleteHmm, perhaps the next time the talk turns to standards, these are the ones we should be working toward. Love it!
ReplyDelete