Thursday, March 20, 2014

Ah, youthful optimism

How do your passions impact the world? 

This is a difficult question for anyone to answer; however, my concerns lie with my 100 eighth graders for this year's oratorical contest. It challenges a writer to be confident in her opinion, to be tapped into her role in the world, to be alive and aware of the effect she has on those in her circle.

I'm old and wise now--I 'd better have some ideas of my own up my sleeve--but how would I answer when I was in the eighth grade? I was stuck in a semi-awkward state with full-fledged sense of adolescent bewilderment. My energies were not flowing from my abilities; instead, they were more entrenched in everyday wishes to measure up to my brother, acquire a pair of Guess jeans, and navigate my way through troubling scenarios on my school bus each morning and afternoon. What did this all mean? In my effort to figure it out, I ran out of time to pursue my passion about anything. Come to think of it, I'm pretty dang sure nobody asked me anyway.

So it is with awe that I watch a great many of my students approach this topic with earnest attention. Between the anecdotes and the quotes, the heroes and the moments of glory, my eyes are opened to such sweet individuals through their speeches. Art, music, sports--these are common topics for the life lessons they teach--it's also fun to read about passion for spontaneity, rooting for the underdog, teaching and caring for children. When in the last 14 years did these kids decide what they cared about? For some, these ideas might have been brewing for years; for most, I think they dreamed their ideas up just last week. Either way, imagery from their personal experiences makes the timing of this awakening irrelevant.

Will they hold on to these passions or not? Chances are good that their minds are or will be drowning in countless distractions in the years ahead, but maybe they'll remember what they discovered about themselves this time around.


No comments:

Post a Comment