Friday, March 2, 2012

Saturation Point

My middle son, Will, just finished a fourth grade science project. Does sugar or salt grow larger crystals? To be clear, I can't be sure of the integrity of the experiment, but he and a friend decided (with the help of our online resources) to base the quantity of sugar and salt in water by the saturation point. As it turns out, only 4 tablespoons of water will dissolve in water before grains are visible at the bottom. Sugar? More than 3 1/2 cups can be added to water on the stove top before it ceases to dissolve. Perhaps you've already developed your own hypothesis, but alas, that is not the point of this post.

As a sixth grade English teacher and a mother of three boys (at three different phases of life) I typically juggle responsibilities of all sorts from day to day. Heaping spoonfuls are added to my day, one after one, and as it turns out, I accept a LOT before stray particles begin to appear at the bottom of the pan. Homework, field trip permission, fundraising, spirit days, uniform orders, project nights, conferences, and potlucks, not to mention bathing, eating, laundry, sleeping. One or two or three spoonfull at a time. And finally, I reach my saturation point. Are all of these tasks coming from the sugar bowl? If so, I suppose it's better than taking those four tablespoons of salt.

2 comments:

  1. Who could fail to appreciate this analogy? Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heaping spoonfuls are added to my day ---

    Yes! I understand and love the way you worked the words in this line.
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete