Saturday, March 3, 2012

I'd Rather be Reading

We just finished parent-teacher conferences at my school. Leading up to the event, my team spent hours coordinating schedules, setting and confirming appointments, sharing information, filling in gaps. My conferences started Thursday evening, where I met with parents from 4:30-7:45, back-to-back, for 15-minute conversations. Then I returned on Friday morning for seven more meetings starting at 8 a.m. There was a lot of good news to share. I shared grades and some comments from other teachers, and an anecdote or snapshot from their child's day to give a picture of what they're like at school. Most of the meetings included a lot of smiling and thanks. There were a few concerns shared, but in all cases, it wasn't news to either party because teachers with concerns had already called home.

By the time it was over, I was depleted, reflective, and bitter. I already know what a parent wants to know about their child, and I didn't find it on a spreadsheet. This weekend, I've begun reading my students' Slices of Life, each one a gift on the screen providing insight into each writer. I'm so tired of the drudgery that can accompany teaching, the drudgery that has nothing to do with teaching. Next time, I'm simplifying the conference prep: I'll read my students' writing instead.

4 comments:

  1. I love it! Good for you. I can totally relate to your slice. Teaching all day and having conferences with parents in the evening is exhausting. I like your writing idea a lot. I can think of a million other things I would rather do. Thanks for sharing your slice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. Conferences at nights after long days of teaching can be drudgery! My student's writing always picks me up. It gives you a true picture of who each student is. And I 'll bet it's what the parents want to hear about instead of test scores and grades.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bummer. I wish everyone could read students writing. It reveals so much about who they really are. Lucky you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love reading student writing - maybe one will be be that special spark for the weekend.

    ReplyDelete