It wasn't too long ago that I was bragging about my progress in the kitchen, and while I haven't posted much about it, I'm still getting those dinners on the table. Some new recipes, some old, but each time I put a meal together, I'm pleased to be the one providing the food that my boys scarf down with gusto. The wintry mix today didn't invite any afternoon walks in my neighborhood, so I went without a trip to the store to pick up extra ingredients. I worked with what I had. Pork loin in the freezer thawed and was placed into the oven to roast with a coating of cumin, chili powder, and pepper flakes before I shredded it with sauteed onions and garlic, and then tossed it with cilantro. I wrapped it in tortillas, poured mole sauce, simmering on the stove, and covered it with cheddar cheese. Black beans made it to the plate, too, with avocado, salsa, and sour cream.
Dinner is a main attraction around here, and my efforts don't go unnoticed either. As I stood by the stove, my third grader joined me to say with a hug, "Thank you for making enchiladas. I love you sooooo much." To think there was a time I wasn't even interested in cooking.
Yum!
ReplyDeleteCooking for others can be so gratifying especially when it is appreciated. How sweet your third grader sounds!
ReplyDelete