Tuesday, March 15, 2011

A Walk to the Post Office

Baby or no baby, we could all list hundreds of things that we can count as "done" on any given day, but there's something about caring for another mini-human that makes each completed task feel like I've reached the peak of the mountain. I could go on and list my long list of feats for the day, but I won't. Instead, I'll assure my readers that I was fulfilled by this day, beyond the satisfaction of putting all that laundry, and beyond the achievement I felt after making dinner in time to attend a volunteer meeting. Between a 6 am trip to the gym and a 10 pm viewing of laughing babies on Youtube with my eighth grader, I found several elusive pacifiers, drank just enough coffee, and watched my nearly mobile baby nearly climb up the leg of the kitchen table. And those invitations? I finished printing and stuffing envelopes. A walk to the post office lead to a trip to the library before we headed back around to the bus stop where my third grader would arrive shortly. Don't I sound so proud?

And then I read the front page of the newspaper, and I considered the contrast between my unremarkable day and what is going on in Japan. It sent a tremor of emotion right through me, leaving a sense of powerlessness too great to comprehend. I shall not complain of my pedestrian existence, nor will I roll my eyes any longer. For each mundane moment, even our walk to the post office, is a blessing indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment