Wednesday, March 16, 2011

A Walk to the Grocery Store

After a night of frequent interruptions, little one had an even crankier morning here this morning. Judging from the way he was jamming his toys into his mouth with force against his lower gums, it's obvious that he's teething. His calls sounded like a demanding seagull between naps and entertainment. I did as much as I could to distract him, which didn't stop at faux-ballet dancing around his exersaucer to the tune of Beethoven's Wig (it worked).

In the afternoon, my voice worn out from too many verses of The Wheels on the Bus, we took to the sidewalk. It's safe to say that spring is here, thank god, and despite the overcast skies, the chill in the air was only mild. He sat upright in his throne in silent meditation, his eyes wide to look at anything that stretched toward the sky, lamp posts, trees, phone lines. I walked with the top of his sweet, fuzzy head in my view. He was wide awake all the way to the store, and he watched me through my shopping trip as I chose only enough to carry under the stroller including an avocado, oatmeal, ricotta cheese, and juice. It wasn't until we were a few minutes from home that he finally closed his eyes, his head tipping slightly to the side. And for some reason, even after a restless night and a tiring day, my heart swells at the thought of this sweet soul as he fusses, watches, and rests. This is true beauty to me right here, right now.

1 comment:

  1. I like "he sat upright in his throne in silent meditation."

    ReplyDelete