Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Kids Today

My eighth grader and I shared a school building for his sixth and seventh grade. I miss seeing him in the halls or his occasional visits between classes (usually to borrow a ruler or ask for more lunch money, but it was a joy just the same). Since I'm not in the classroom for my his final year of middle school, I thought it would be fun to volunteer instead. What was I thinking?

I'm on the committee to plan their eighth grade promotion party, and the first task is to select a theme. We, the parents, narrowed our ideas down to four choices, and the students will read descriptions and select their favorite one. What's on the ballot this year? The Emerald City (as in Wizard of OZ), Hollywood Premiere (walk down the red carpet), Beach Bash (surf's up!), and Anchors Away (think cruise ship). The difficulty here is that each one of these was thought up by individual moms, each of whom believes her theme is #1. I asked if there has ever been a student focus group to brainstorm ideas that they like...and the committee chair looked at me like I had three heads. Guess what her favorite theme is. She's not going to be happy until 300 eighth graders come skipping down the Yellow Brick Road.

My personal focus group of one (my son, of course) isn't crazy about any of the themes, but I'm not sure party themes are designed for boys anyway. Personally, I predict that Hollywood Premiere will come out on top and that Beach Bash will come in second. But then again, I'm not thirteen years old, so what do I know?

Want to weigh in? Put yourself back in middle school and tell me which one you'd choose.

2 comments:

  1. I'll put my money on the Beach Bash but the Hollywood theme would be my choice as an adult. Any reason to get all dolled up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hysterical, Leah! I have to second Elizabeth with the beach bash...although my eighth grader would agree with yours. "Theme?" he said, "I'm not going to an end of the year party!"

    ReplyDelete