We're only six days into Slice month and the odd little collection of thoughts I've chosen to post is playing Ring around a Rosy in my head. I'm struck by what has come to the surface, from my son's third grade teacher to my disparity over the ratings system, and that high fructose corn syrup, darn it. What's next? As parents and as teachers, we're constantly challenged by forces in and out of our homes and classrooms, and it helps if we have an idea of where we stand, but lately, especially in my new role as a mom to a teenager, I seem to be making it up as I go along.
There were two moments this weekend, though, where my middle child experienced a sort of awakening, and I'm pleased to say I was confident in my response. The first conversation meandered around to the origin of our family when he realized for the first time in his nine years that my first son was born before my husband and I were married. "Are you kidding?" he exclaimed, laughing out of embarrassment. I looked at him in the rear view mirror, his eyes were wide and his cheeks red. "Oh, I thought you knew," I replied. My oldest son, from the passenger seat chimed in, "Did you happen to notice their wedding photo in their bedroom? I'm in it." It wasn't a traditional start to our family, but it's nothing we've tried to hide.
The second moment came this morning on our way to the grocery store. It was raining, so we sat in the car before making a run for the door. We were talking about the baby's favorite Sesame Street video and he remarked that the baby probably wants to marry Abby Cadabby, an adorable pig-tailed muppet with a lot of spunk. "Heck," I said, "I'd marry her, she's so darn cute." He was taken aback. "Uh, mom. You're a GIRL. Girls marry boys." Okay, so we never sat him down to explain same-sex marriage, but it's not like we were avoiding the topic either, and it looked like he'd made some assumptions without our input. I clarified things for him, again with the support of his big brother, and told him that not all families are made up of a mom and a dad. We even gave examples of friends in same-sex relationships, but like the photo on our bedside table, he just never noticed.
After two revelations, I connected the two. There isn't just one way ton make up a family, but the most important thing a family has is love for each other. Finally, something I'm 100% sure about.
As for those thoughts hip-hop dancing in my brain, now I'll just wonder what else I've forgotten to mention to my kids.
You'll know when "it" comes up. If "it" never comes up, oh well. Kids are too funny, especially when they realize you had a life before them.
ReplyDeleteI love your last line 'thoughts hip-hop dancing'. I think teachers and mothers have the most hopping in our brains. Great connections. :)
ReplyDeleteLeah - what lucky kids you have. How lucky we are that they will be running things in not to long. Great perspectives.
ReplyDelete