The Homemade Pizza Company: A new take-out place in Teacher Town prepares pizzas with fresh ingredients, to order or from the refrigerated case if you choose, wrapped in parchment paper and ready to be taken home to eat. The catch is that they don't cook it--we do. The first time I went into this establishment, I felt a little "had" when I realized that it didn't smell like pizza in there because they didn't own an oven.
Well, what if I don't want my pizza to go?
"I want to eat it here," I picture my demanding self speaking sternly to the teenager behind the counter. Then I picture myself standing in front of the store, peeling off plastic to scoop soft dough, raw, crumbly cheese, and cold sauce into my mouth. The truth is that it's not worth making a stink. The pizza tastes damned good when you bring it home and bake it in your own oven.
My brother and his family is in town this weekend, and after a long, crowded day at the zoo, we gathered at our place for dinner. Kids, not as tired as grownups, rode scooters and bikes until dark. Two and a half year-old niece ran up and down our driveway in bare feet. I preheated the oven while Rob made a run for the pizza. Before we turned in for the night, we baked "homemade" cookies in the oven for dessert.
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDelete