Sunday, March 17, 2013

G is for Green

This wintery day was crying out for color. I rushed errands in the chilly temperatures with boots and my wool coat, no different from the many pedestrians I spotted on their way to restaurants and bars. What made them stand out were the spots of Kelly green that peeked out from under warm layers. Sweaters, t-shirts, maybe just a scarf. In the grocery store, one woman was covered in earth tones except for a triangle of a green camisole that showed beneath her v-neck sweater.

I'm a little ashamed to say so, but holidays can bring me down. It's never the family-time that I dread, it's the pressure to be prepared with menus or costumes or gifts and wrapping. But St. Patrick's Day? Now this is a holiday I can handle. When I went home, my boys and I showed our Irish pride. No, we didnt drink beer or go to the parade. We did what we could to make this grey day more colorful. We wore green.

Life lesson: Simply celebrate.

1 comment: