Friday, March 11, 2011

Webster Got it Wrong

I got my colored pencils out this week and brought back a favorite hobby: doodling. It's been a while since I've been at it, but I'm a big fan of filling white space with little sketches, sometimes to the dismay of some of my teachers. You'd be right to assume I have a liberal policy on doodling in my own classroom. It often begins as a squiggle or a circle, but it grows into flowers, trees, the sun, and the moon. I'll plant a garden or arrange an imaginary living room with a sofa and soft chairs and pillows. There was a long period when I filled spiral sketchbooks with girls, not unlike the young and free girl I was then, with long hair and sun dresses, bare feet, and fruit. That's right, a lot of those girls danced with fruit, juggled fruit, and baskets overflowed with a healthy harvest. Of course, vegetables joined in, too. One of my favorites was the girl who ran with asparagus. She brandished it like a sword as she hopped over rolling, green hills.

My sister is pregnant, due at the end of April, and I'm planning her baby shower. I designed the invitation that now glows with the floral chandelier she installed in her little girl's room; a cradle rocks beneath sprouting pink petunias.
doodle  (ˈduːd ə l) 
1. to draw or scribble idly: He doodled during the whole lecture.
2. to waste (time) in aimless or foolish activity.

I can't help but notice the negative connotation of the word doodle and frankly, I disagree. Call me a fool, but it sure doesn't feel idle to me.

5 comments:

  1. Oh loved this! So right. Doodling can be a great source of inspiration not to mention an avenue to alleviate extra energy. Plus, it's just plain enjoyable. Maybe you should petition Webster's dictionary to change/update the definition so as to not reflect the 'idleness'. Wouldn't that be something!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I second Heather's comment. Doodling is an art! I wish I did it better. How wonderful that your sister's invite will have such a personal touch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll add my agreement to the others'! I'm not sure why doodling gets a bad rap--so many find it not only relaxing, but helpful in thinking or staying engaged.
    Sounds like your doodling in particular has reached the level of art, and I found myself really wanting to see the picture of the girl with asparagus. Is there a picture book there somewhere? Or at least an add campaign for healthy eating among adventurous kids?

    ReplyDelete
  4. You made me want to doodle even though I cannot draw straight line. You made it easy to visualize your doodling process.

    ReplyDelete
  5. okay, so I'll stop giving a certain student a hard time about all the doodles in the margins of every paper she hands in. Perhaps I'm just a jealous non-doodler.

    ReplyDelete