Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Where does the day go?

My thirteen-year-old son, who joined me in my walk to middle school each morning for the last two years, asked me how I spend my days now that I'm at home with the baby. His inexperience with newborns has left him with the distorted view that perhaps I waste the day away on Hulu. "No," I replied, "I'm not caught up on Office episodes, but thanks for asking." As it turns out, despite the fact that my baby is sweetness personified, it's just not all that often that I find myself with two hands free. By the way, my young adolescent was treated to a short lecture on the realities of parenting, lest he think it's a free-ticket to vacation land. Dear God. 

I had Teacher Town open on my computer screen for a couple of hours yesterday with my best intentions to post early. But nap-time turned out to be a hands-on event, as little cutie was not as delighted by his crib as he was in the first two months. Fill in the empty spaces with diaper changing, bath, laundry, cleaning the kitchen, etc. Older kids came home and I kicked in homework support (interrogative vs. imperative sentences), kept an eye on outdoor play (scooter hockey), dinner (spaghetti and meatballs), bedtime (a chapter of Goblet of Fire). My day was done. Later, I sat in front of the screen with only one hand free and found that I could either hunt and peck with one hand to compose a short piece or browse Facebook and GOOP with ease. Obviously, I chose the latter. (Note that I passed up my chance at Hulu.)

And maybe it was the pressure to view the world as David Sedaris does that still left me with nothing. How can I write anything if I can't even manage to leave the house? Well, I have lofty goals today: I have errands to run. Perhaps I'll even witness something interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment