Monday, March 2, 2026

Promises Kept

Somewhere around January 1, 2024, I made two resolutions that stuck:
  • Plug my phone in downstairs when I go to bed
  • Set my alarm clock to ring in the bathroom
Approximately 791 days later, I'm still reading pages instead of pixels before I close my eyes. I'm still silencing the bell ringing in the bathroom by placing both feet on the floor instead of both hands on the snooze button. 

The benefits include more restful sleep and a morning set with intention, the most important of which is brewing a full pot of coffee. Dark roast. Piping hot. A splash of milk, but really, I just take my coffee with caffeine.  

A digital diet plus a shot of electricity straight to my veins is how I like to start my days. That precious hour when I count the beans before the day starts to drip. The kitchen light is one of the only aglow down the street, and my hands are wrapped warmly around my mug. It is a time for messages, calendars, and grades, but it's also a time to say thanks. 

For the new cup of coffee in my cup each and every day. 

If you ask me, that's what getting a good night's sleep is all about. 

3 comments:

  1. Leah - love this description of your morning routine. I completely wish for this moment daily: "...the kitchen light is one of the only aglow down the street, and my hands are wrapped warmly around my mug."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Smart, funny, and true-- "I just take my coffee with caffeine", and "counting the beans before the day starts to drip." Such great writing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the promises made and kept, as well as a morning with a warm mug in hand. Best line- “I just take my coffee with caffeine.”

    ReplyDelete