The paint was a two-tone blue--maybe fancy when it was new, but when my Dad handed me the keys, rust was creeping over the hood. If memory serves, my parents gave me the go-ahead to add the third tone--more sky than robin's egg-- over the dimpled metal. This was one of many times they said yes to the paintbrush. Squinting did nothing to improve its looks, but what a personality.
I remember the mulch. My industrious parents spent their weekends tending the yard. In my recollection, though, I carried a 3-foot pile to school every single day. When I picked up speed on the highway, I'd spot a spray of soil in my review mirror. Drivers, beware of the girl in the El Camino.
Later, the car became my first canvas for a protest sign. A friend was suspended from our Catholic school for one whole day. I don't recall his crime as much as I recall the oppressive dean of discipline, Colonel LeFevre, who stored a 100-sheet stack of demerits in his chest pocket. One evening, a few of us in a Bible study asked ourselves what Jesus would do in the face of injustice. The result was rolling broadside with the words, "Free Matt McMahon. Stick it to the chicken!" Then, I parked my gargantuan heap in the Colonel's parking space.
My Mom didn't falter, which says a lot about her. Not only did she send her shy daughter off into the wild world in an absurd set of wheels, but she also answered the Colonel's call with feminist pride.
"She did what?" she inquired smiling unbeknownst to the martinet on the line. "Of course, I'll talk to her."
In car heaven, that El Camino is home to a garden that grows to this day.
When I first met my husband, he had an El Camino. We still talk about that car today, 30 years later. I guess El Caminos make good memories. Love your protest!
ReplyDeleteThis post is soooo revealing. Way to go Ginny!
ReplyDeleteOh I love your protest story! What a bold thing for you to do & what wonderful mother to stand shoulder to shoulder with you. I will never look at an El Camino the same way again!
ReplyDeleteI'm so thrilled to now be able to open my heart up to the El Camino. I Always associated them only with mysterious men with mustaches. The image of yours with protest signs and soil is an incredibly uplifting image.
ReplyDeleteThe shy girl in the El Camino protests! It was all by design. I learned how to drive in a Lincoln Continental and will never forget the looks I got. Love learning this tidbit from your past. It explains everything.
ReplyDelete