You require my students to arrive on time,
clear their testing area,
turn in their devices,
and remain silent during directions.
Such sweet silence.
Such sweet silence.
You provide scratch paper,
with a firm suggestion to use it,
even if is is not required,
and a sharpened pencil.
In other words, use both--
please remember the outline
or suffer the guilt.
Guilt for growth,
some might say.
Guilt for growth,
some might say.
Not that it means anything to you,
but I will remember the peppermints.
Children whisper thanks
Children whisper thanks
to the generous lady
like orphans
in an old-school asylum,
hungry for a sweet.
You are so generous with your time,
and for that we are grateful,
especially for the students
who will take all day, in fact,
with their lunch tray beside
their laptop,
either because they are crafting
the most intricate of essays
in response to your
titillating prompts
or they are left wordless in the face
of this challenge.
E.g.
Most schools offer a variety of activities,
classes, and clubs. Identify one
of these that students
enjoy
and explain why they enjoy it.
Include specific details
and examples in your response.
Oh, the three-prong thesis statements
our students will write,
thanks to your grand invitation.
Then the body paragraphs
with examples
from real-life, we hope,
that are both vivid and specific.
(Transitional words and phrases
are big point-earners, we hear.)
Finally, the conclusion paragraph that
rephrases that thesis
and a summary
of the main points, of course,
before the call to action.
Oh! That conclusion that answers,
So what?
That last question,
they report back,
is always a tough one.
I'll never view a standardized test the same way again. You nailed it in this slice. Our students love when there are mints, gums, and bananas as if they've never seen them before haha. Thank you for sharing this powerful interpretation.
ReplyDeleteYou nailed it indeed. I love how you talk to the test. Perfect perspective.
ReplyDeleteSomebody needs to talk to the test! I doubt it’s listening, though.
ReplyDelete"I will remember the peppermints" section just gets me. Because they do whisper "Thank you" in such a heartfelt way.
ReplyDeleteSo enjoyed your piece. Such strong perspective writing due to all your details. Favorite: You are so generous with your time, and for that we are grateful,
ReplyDeleteThe year I worked in DC and gave the timed PARK test, I never understood the value of scoring a writing test where it had to be finished in so many minutes.