Saturday, March 3, 2018

Fly Away Home

At the back door, leash in hand, my dog's eyes asked, "You're taking me out there?" Violent winds shook the house so much that we hadn't been outside in hours. But dogs require walks--I signed that metaphorical contract when I adopted her.

I hereby promise to take my dog outside twice or more daily to address biological needs, physical fitness, and emotional health. I swear I will pause periodically to allow for the sniffing of things, including tufts of grass, cracks of sidewalks, and fire hydrants, for the therapeutic aspects of worldly aromas. I ensure that she will run until her ears flop in the breeze. I will provide periodic meetings with other dogs for the exchange of brief, secret messages that I may never hear. In good times and bad, in sickness and health, I will walk my dog (or guarantee a substitute when I can not).

On we marched into the storm amid downed tree branches and darkened homes without power. She broke in to a trot, mouth opened wide to gulp cold air. After a long smelling session at a rosemary bush on the corner, we crossed a bridge over a highway. The gust was strong that we might have been lifted off the ground. I imagined us in flight, no control of our direction, my coat billowing like a sail and her feathery fur whipping to and fro. However, I would not let go. We might be blown one block over or two hours over the Atlantic, but I made my vows.

Thankfully, she made her intentions clear and locked her legs before turning back toward home. We took a shortcut, a quicker route to a warm spot on the couch. 

Bound by law and by love. 

6 comments:

  1. Especially love:) I always had bigger dogs, but when I lost my beloved Hal, my husband wanted a little one. We found a brat terrier (Boston/Rat Terrier mix). Gwen was so tiny when we first brought her home during a bitter cold January, I couldn't let her go outside without a giant coat and boots. It was so big on her she couldn't do her business- we had to resort to puppy pads:) Love the post- especially the flight of fancy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea of a vow we take to our pets. I hope you both find refuge in warmth and each other during the storm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You captured the feel of the indiscriminate, blustery, unrelenting wind. I can see you and your pup crossing the bridge and taking flight like Mary Poppins. Thank goodness you turned towards home instead.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your unwritten contract written as a real law or marriage contract is clever while at the same time shows great kindness and love toward your pet. Love all the law lingo. I hereby..I swear..In good times and bad...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the last line “bound by law and by love” and your metaphorical contract. I wonder what our vows to our children or students would sound like.

    ReplyDelete