Friday, March 10, 2017

Story Time Shines

Between a meeting and my first class, I sped to my first grader's school for a big surprise. I approached his classroom with care, and was pleased to see his teacher pop her head out the door.

"We're almost ready!" she said. I hung up my coat on the lunch cart and leaned my umbrella against the little lockers as I waited for my invitation to come in. She was back in flash, and I made my entrance.

"Surprise! Look who's here as today's Mystery Reader--Bragan's mom!" And Bragan's big smile was the primary reason I was there. Oh my, that kid sure can beam. It's as if sun shines in his core, sending rays out to all in his orbit. He took his place closest to the reading chair, so I got to feel that warmth.

The assignment was easy: Bring in a bunch of books. Chat with the kiddos a little about how much we love reading. Let Bragan choose a few books that he'd like me to share with the class. Read! Now, this is a lesson I can handle any day. Today's titles included Skippy Jon Jones in Mummy Trouble, Library Lion, and A Beasty Story

We read, we made connections, we made predictions, and we laughed. In between, I took a moment to introduce foreshadowing--I mean, the kid remembered a hint on the opening page--it was a teachable moment. Bragan, because he's familiar with these family favorites, finished some of my sentences. Fans in the front row. Everyone should be so lucky. Then I got a big hug and a thank you before I made my exit. 

Back to my classes of eighth graders, they were also gathering to talk about a story. It was Socratic Seminar day, all about the power dynamics of Animal Farm. They read favorite quotes, made connections. No one mentioned foreshadowing, but they did point out some strong evidence of irony and propaganda techniques. When I heard what they had to say, I had a front row seat and as I closed up the day, it was me that beamed.


2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a pretty rewarding Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww - on so many levels - your engaging young people with the power of text. Wish we did mystery readers in eighth grade. Congrats on your "power".

    ReplyDelete