My day started before the sun came up. I joined a new running group that's perfect for me: go about a 6-mile loop before anyone else in the family has even pressed the snooze button, including the dog. I raced to the meet-up spot to realize that only one or two start there. "Huh, small crew," I thought, but that was before we encountered two or three others every half mile until three became twelve. It was a good route too--a couple hills, a cut on and off the trail, a little bridge--and the company was great.
Because I'll never forget the time I braved the darkest morning on my own and found myself being followed by a slow-moving sedan. Just behind me this car lurked house after house for long enough that I was sure I would be scooped up and hauled to some abandoned bunker. I had barely a plan of escape when I heard a sudden crack of a gun shot. It stopped me in my tracks, and my heart almost burst from the shock. Until I realized it was no gunshot. Just the slap of a newspaper as its driver threw it out his open window. It was the paper boy. Still, I came out of that event with a simple resolution to stick with the buddy system. Looks like this promise will be easy enough to keep.
Perfect plot structure in the second paragraph! But my favorite line is, "before anyone else in the family has pressed the snooze button, even the dog."
ReplyDeleteTwelve of you? Whew. Wonder how long it will be before the dog wants to go too! The second paragraph was gripping!
ReplyDelete