Thursday, March 16, 2017

Lucky Seven, Say Yes

The phone conference I had about a week ago couldn't have been better if I scripted it myself. I jotted everything the program director described on my loose-leaf paper, including details about project-based learning and the wide array of elective options. When we talked it over at home, it seemed like a perfect fit for my 9th grader. The list for benefits continued to lengthen, too, as we added smaller classes, "more staffing than they need," college credit for duel enrollment courses, less paperwork and more individualized instruction to our list of pros. I could go on, but the only conclusion we could draw was that this is a pretty cool opportunity in our very own public school system. 

We took a tour today because the next thing we needed was to get the overall "vibe" of the school. The common area is pretty nice. The professional grade equipment in every CTE class is impressive. The environment has this calm, chill feel that can't be beat when you're about to start a day of learning. Darn it, we forgot to check out the bathrooms. So now what? 

The director has since emailed a follow-up to ask if we had any more questions and a "we'd love to have him at our school" comment too. He'd be the seventh of 10 slots they've opened up for his rising 10th grade class.

"Give me a minute," he's asked. I'm proud of him for acknowledging that this is the biggest decision he has had to make in his 15 years of life. We can respect that because he's not wrong.

Now we wait a minute. But wow, wait time is hard when you think you already know the answer.

2 comments:

  1. It is a big decision, but it's nice to have choices.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eek - that is a big decision. Good luck to him (and you.)

    ReplyDelete