Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Breaking News

Eighth grade teachers have iPads.

I'm a skeptic and a worrier when it comes to this grand technology rollout, but who doesn't like to open a box of something shiny and new that they can call their very own? My colleagues filed into my room to find gifts labeled with their names, but the shine wore off quickly when we realized that the setup process would be rough around the edges.

"I'm a pencil and paper kind of gal. Better yet, where's my chisel?" one math teacher asked. Even though her upload icon was spinning and spinning with no end in sight, she waited patiently. I can't say the same for the rest of the group. When the setup didn't go their way, they jumped ship in favor of getting something else done. It was my room, so I stayed.

Change takes time. It requires flexibility and motivation to learn. Time is absolutely the #1 thing we need most with or without the iPads. If I'm flexible, if I'm motivated, will I be rewarded by this tool built for efficiency? Does this mean I'll stand less at the copier? Spend fewer hours managing papers? I guess I'll enter grades in realtime with this handheld device. Students will be entirely informed of their own grades and performance. They'll actually read the comments I leave for them on assignments. This is not to mention the many fun things we'll be able to do. Right?....Right?!

1 comment: