Thursday, March 26, 2015

Thanks for your kind words

Impossible. I am charged with selecting three boys and three girls out of my 120 students to move on to Round 2 of this year's oratorical contest. My heart is in my throat with my notes, photos, and their writing before me. This year, the number of students who dug to the depths of their personal experiences and shared them with us overwhelmed me. In my last class of the last day of presentations, two students had us in tears. We passed the tissue box around. One student had to visit the counselor. In the class before, some of us teared up from laughing. Let's just say it's been an emotional week.

Yes, I had seen the typed drafts, but isn't it fitting that the spoken word was most generous for this unit? I am proud of my kids. Relieved that they are finished--just in time for a week-long break from school--and full of awe for the challenges they take on just because we ask them to.

Beyond individual contributions, I established protocol for the audience: cheer for the students as they walk up to the podium (instead of only at the finish) and compliment speakers when they finish. Each kept a log of compliments as they listened, so not one kid was speechless when it came to boosting each other up. 

So much positivity has me reeling. The Optimist Club has successfully taken my brain hostage. Consider this post an IOU for some grumpster writing soon.




2 comments:

  1. I may have to borrow this line in the future, "Consider this post an IOU for some grumpster writing soon." I can't tell you how many times I have thought of something like that, but haven't gotten the wording as right as you did in this post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like a really good thing-- in times of pessimism, I still refer to the Optimist Creed as you posted it last year.

    Happy spring break!

    ReplyDelete