Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Sssshhhh, listen.

I'm a big believer in talking for ideas. Just about every one of my lessons allows time for kids to talk BEFORE they write. If I didn't give them semi-structured time to pitch a few ideas to each other, they'd find a way to do it anyway. Making noise is a big part of who they are. It's a big part of the world they live in, too, maybe one of the most important reasons to emphasize the value of silence. 

Life is loud. So here I go in my old-age harping on today's generation for hooking up to every dang device they can get their hands on. Entertainment flashes at the push of a button. Music plays in their ears. Screens tip side-to-side for Flappy Bird's new buddy Kitty Jetpack. And this is just the battery-operated aspect of life. Busy schedules for either them or their parents (or both) makes for some noisy nights of late dinners and rushed homework.

Because I'm a part of this world, I can understand why some kids come in without completed homework. It's not such a shock to see a blank page when I've asked them to pour their hearts out. Writing asks a lot of kids. I get it. But lately, when kids tell me they didn't have time, they had to study for World Geo, science, Spanish, that they didn't understand, I just wish they had more time to be alone, more confidence in their own thoughts, more space to hear what their minds are trying to say to them. 

As I reflect on silence for them, I pledge to seek the same for myself.

2 comments:

  1. Profound...so true. Time to be alone, more confidence in thoughts, more space to hear what their minds are saying...yes, and for us, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the rant in the middle. You make a good point. Most of my students don't do anything quietly except maybe showering. I"m kind of like that, too, though. I usually choose to play NPR as the background for my life. What are we masking with all of this noise? What are we afraid of?

    ReplyDelete