Monday, March 17, 2014

Fact or fiction?

Speaking of Go Dog, Go, the party I described yesterday, the raucous celebration dogs enjoy after they've climbed a terrifyingly high ladder rung by rung, takes me back to a pre-school event I attended. The details are fuzzy, but I remember that my mom was chaperone to my small group that walked from the classroom to a home that promised to have a magnificent tree house. Although most of my classmates were excited about this fun opportunity, I do believe I approached the party with fear and dread. Perhaps I was envisioning a treehouse party like the one in this familiar storybook? The puppies smile and dance in the illustration, but truth be told, they also look like they're about to fall off the edge, straight to their death. 

According to my vague recollections, my mother took us on a brief detour to browse in an antique store and chat with the owner. There was a stuffed parrot in a bird cage and a live, black dog (but no silly hats). Why would a group of kids stop at an antique store on a field trip? The idea is not at all far-fetched if you know my mother. 

Once we entered the backyard, I remember my group members went running. I took one look at the ladder that went up the tree and made my decision clear by tightening my grip on my mother's leg. For the rest of the afternoon, I imagined the excitement and adventure taking place so high in the sky. I even imagined myself taking on that height rung by rung, like brave doggies do. But I never did, and every time I read that story to my son, I wonder about the fun that I must have missed.

1 comment:

  1. I like this one! Pleased to meet ya, pre-school Leah.

    ReplyDelete