Sunday, March 24, 2013

K is for Kindred Kiddos

Cousins. I consider them to be one of the major blessings of my life, not just because we share blood, but for the countless adventures, jokes, and  stories told 'round the camp fire. As adults, we reunite just a few times a year in person, sometimes for a ukelele singalong or a lobster feast, impromptu ice cream rendez-vous or all-day dock chats. My husband and children were instantly accepted into the fold. The instant connection we feel to them is enough to sustain us until the next time.

On weekends, my sister and I get our toddler cousins together, only nine months apart in age, and each time is more satisfying than the last. I think they've outgrown parallel play and toy tug-of-war since they now greet each other by name and make conversation. They roar like lions and practice yoga. They climb the mountain and dribble the ball. When one tries to escape the yard, the other stops her in her tracks with words of warning, "Not safe!" When it's time to go, they cry but summon enough cheer to hug. 

This summer, they will move to Miami for two or three years, and I dread the distance between us. Still, I feel confident that the bond between them will not be easily broken.

Life lesson: Unconditional love above all else.

1 comment:

  1. Gulp - that will be so sad for both you and your little guy. I love the juxtaposition of "roaring like lions and practicing yoga".

    ReplyDelete