Thursday, March 14, 2013

W is for Willing and Able

A co-worker and I chose five novels for a new sixth grade unit that focuses on characters with disabilities. When she first proposed the idea last year, I was eager to climb aboard. Not only would we explore elements of fiction, but we'd build more understanding about empathy and different perspectives. I read all of the books; each one made me cry at least once. Somehow, I thought this was a good sign to move forward with the idea.

 I firmed up lesson plans that invited kids to share connections, knowledge, and questions about disabilities. But when the books arrived, I became very nervous. This was unfamiliar territory, and when I was honest with myself,I acknowledged that I don't even much experience with people who have severe disabilities like the ones described in the books. It suddenly felt like too heavy of a topic for my sixth graders. I feared they'd be impulsive, and that I wouldn't even be prepared to handle stray comments. They also really like to laugh and have fun. If I'm aiming to inspire and engage them, why would I teach these stories?

 We're only a few days into the unit now, and for now, all is well. In part, they like to be the first ones to read these brand new books. They all appreciate choice, too, since some of them are coming from elementary schools where teachers assigned them the novels they studied. But so many of them are also engrossed in the stories--not only are they instantly focused on reading in class, but there are reports that kids are picking up their books all day. As I listen in, I'm proud of the way they express concern, outrage at injustice, curiosity about experiences so different from their own. They talk to each other about the characters, even when I don't tell them to. They talk to me about events in the books on their way in and out of class. I think they're hooked.

 Life lesson: Young'uns might surprise you when given the chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment